Integrity. Quality. Safety.
The world leader in mirror-based LED safety technology.
Under the direction of the Engineering Manager, the Product Engineer assures that Muth designs and develops products that meet customer requirements and exceed their expectations. The Product Engineer will have responsibilities throughout all phases of product development leading to successful production launch and through the life of the product including engineering changes and improvements. The Product Engineer will have an active role in Muth’s product evolution and advancement to assure Muth Mirror Systems remains competitive in the global automotive industry.
1. Demonstrate creativity and ingenuity in applying engineering tools, principles, and practices.
2. Design, develop, and evolve Muth products:
a. Review 3D cad proposals from customers, manipulate 3D designs and issue design recommendations
b. Design activities per APQP systems and requirements.
c. Review customer requirements and specifications. Develop specifications as needed
d. Develop, utilize, and maintain design tools such as DFMEAs
e. Generate designs utilizing geometric dimensioning and tolerances, design guidelines, and industry standard practices.
f. Create engineering drawings for components Build and evaluate engineering samples and prototypes for customers.
3. Design and setup pre-production assembly cell and process
a. Design fixtures for standard processes including optics to glass placement and vision testing
b. Program optics to glass placement and vision systems for pre-production builds
4. Conduct product validation testing:
a. Develop Design Verification Plans (DVP) based on customer requirements and specifications
b. Manage and conduct all aspects of validation testing: develop test procedures, work with test labs, prepare test samples, run tests, compile results, and report out.
5. Detailed and systematic analysis of Muth’s products key characteristics to provide a solid foundation for product improvement and new product development. These include:
a. Display luminance
b. Display uniformity
c. Thermal management
d. Environmental durability
e. Design for manufacturability
6. Focus on design for manufacturing and help bridge the gap between design engineering and manufacturing engineering.
7. Execute to established design and development systems, processes, and procedures
a. Maintain and improve these systems, processes, and procedures
8. Initiate or participate in continual improvement activities:
a. Provide input and insight into product improvement and product designs
b. Achieve cost reduction / continual improvement goals assigned to Engineering Department
c. Make recommendations/suggestions for manufacturing improvements to maximize efficiencies
d. Participate in Lean Projects.
e. Stay current on the latest or new relevant technologies
1. B.S. in Mechanical Engineering preferred plus a minimum of 3 years related experience.
2. Well versed in Autodesk AutoCAD and/or Inventor
3. Well versed in Microsoft Office
4. Good communications skills for both internal customers/departments and external customers
5. Good project management skills, able to manage and execute multiple projects simultaneously
6. Experience in the automotive industry is a plus