Many new vehicles come with the option to have heated mirrors, so when you’re making the decision to purchase Signal® Mirrors, you’ll need to confirm if your mirrors have this feature.
So, how do you do this?
1. You can call your local dealership with your VIN and they should be able to tell you if the mirrors are heated
2. Some heated mirrors have the word “heated” or have an icon on the mirror. If you have either of these etched in the mirror glass, then you have heated mirrors.
3. You can remove the mirror glass assembly (using our instructions which are available for download by each kit) and check for the presence of the heater and associated wiring. This wiring is typically connected to the back of the mirror with spade-type connectors which would rise up at an angle of 45 to 90 degrees from the back of the mirror.
Why would I want heated mirrors?
The most obvious answer, especially if you live in a climate where your mirrors can get covered with ice and snow, is for the defrosting feature. If you don’t live where this is a common occurrence, you can still benefit from heated mirrors. The heating feature will help clear the mirror if it’s fogged up and will even increase visibility in the mirror when used when it’s raining. Whether defrosting, defogging or demisting, keep in mind this all happens when you activate the heaters while you’re driving allowing the mirror to “clear up” without having to pull over and scrap or wipe the mirror. While heated mirrors are one of the older safety features available, it’s still one of the most useful!
I don’t have heated mirrors currently, but would like to upgrade to that feature when I add my new Signal® Mirrors. How would I do this?
If your vehicle was “non-heated” from the factory, you are missing the two components needed for this feature:
1. The heaters on the mirrors
2. The wiring, circuitry and switch to power those heaters.
Converting a non-heated vehicle to heated mirrors would then require both the heated mirrors and the controller kit called the H-MOD (stands for heated mirrors on demand). You can find out more about this kit here.